Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Aaah Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day to those of you who actually give a toss... I'm one of those who don't care! My early Valentine's experiences have left me scarred and embittered!! In fact I have no truly happy Valentine's Day memories to share with you, dear reader... except one... but it's not happy so much as, well, kind of sad in a sweet way!

The best Valentine's Day ANYTHING I ever got was when I was 13 (I told you it was sad... but WAIT, it gets SADDER)... it was my first MONTH at High School and the school was really hyping up the Valentine's Day crap. They would have a live show, shout-outs to those who got cards, etc etc! We even got to wear red and white (as opposed to the usual uniforms)... I was totally excited... wondering if I would get a card from a secret admirer... maybe more than one even!! So, my best friend and I went to the show and watched and waited... and waited... announcement after announcement came, "Mymoena, your secret admirer says he LOVES your smile and your beautiful face!"... "Bradley, you-know-who (and we ALL knew who) says she will love you forever!", that kind of thing! Eventually they were winding up the proceedings and I came to appalling realisation that I would NOT be getting ANYTHING! Not a flower, not a chocolate, not even a card from a desperate secret admirer! I was devastated! My best bud (who hadn't really gotten anything either - but her ego wasn't quite as big as mine, I don't think she was expecting anything! In fact she was kind of scornful of the whole thing... I think she may have been wearing black to school that day actually! It IS her favourite colour you know!?) and I made our way home... heading off in separate directions. I was so despondent... felt like crying and all (I was 13 okay, I took these things seriously!)... when I got home I told my brother and my mother that "Valentine's Day is stupid and I hate it and who needs cards anyway..." (yeah yeah... cliche to say the LEAST!)

So I headed off to my room to mope about for the rest of the afternoon. I eventually rejoined my mum and bro (I don't remember correctly, but if I know my mother she must've been losing patience with my by then!! She's a harsh woman, my mum!)... my brother very casually said, "Tessa (or "Tetha"... he lithped - he still does a bit actually), I think the pothtman came..." thereby implying that I should go and check the postbox. So I did... dragging myself out to check for mail. When I opened the box I saw nothing at first but on closer inspection, I noticed that something lay crumpled at the bottom of the box. I took it out... it was a piece of paper torn from a notebook! There were some incredibly bad hearts drawn all over it and the following was written in a childish scrawl "Natasha... I love you! Happy Valentine's Day! From Your Secret Admirer!"

Yes, it was from my brother (I told you it was sad)... it was, and will probably always be, the sweetest Valentine's Day gift I've ever gotten from ANYBODY!! I mean he was just 10 at the time! I went inside and embarrassed him by kissing him! He has ALWAYS denied making that Valentine! To this day he won't admit it! I mean, come ON, I'm his big sister! How much grosser can it get!? But I knew his handwriting and he was just trying to make me feel better because I was so sad about not getting anything at school! It more than made my day!! He's a sweetie pie my baby bro!! As annoying and difficult as he still is, I love him to bits!! So I'd like to say Happy Valentine's Day to my FAVOURITE (and only) baby brother today!! You rock, Nathan!! I doubt he'll see it... but what the hell!!?

Oh. Footnote!! I STILL HAVE NOT GOTTEN ANY DECENT VALENTINE'S DAY CARDS OR GIFTS SINCE THEN!! I MUST BE JINXED!!!

1 comment:

Satyne said...

Aww thanks love... my brother's a sweetie (most of the time). He sometimes surprises me with his thoughtfulness.

;)