Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Never again!

The world we live in is a pretty scary place and while travelling remains an exciting prospect, we now have the threat of terrorism and hijacking to dampen our enthusiasm for taking off to parts unknown(in addition to the fear that the 'plane will fall out of the sky of course - an old favourite of mine!). So naturally, Mary and I took it in stride when, upon check-in to Flight NW0001 to Hong Kong, on the 30/04 - we were taken aside by security officials and asked about the contents of our luggage! Now, I don't know about you folks but I always get kind of nervous and guilty when people start asking me stuff like that! I don't know why but I have this irrational fear that they're gonna pull out a bag of drugs or an AK47 from my bags that just wasn't there when I first packed!

Anyway, I tried to be pleasant and smiley because I understood that they were just doing their jobs, it was for our own safety and everyone else seemed to be going through the same thing. Turns out I lost the key to my luggage - so this was even a blessing in disguise because they had to break the lock with a wrenchy/pliersy type thing and I could replace it with the spare one I had! So, while I stood by, this nice, chatty chick very carefully starting going through my unmentionables and all that, checking for explosives and what-not! Mary was, of course, going through the same thing with a similarly chatty chick!

Finally done, we checked our luggage and strolled around waiting for boarding time! We speculated over what had just happened because it was the first time either of us had had our bags so thoroughly checked - but we figured that as it was an American airline, heading towards a city like Hong Kong- the extra security was probably warranted! After about an hour's delay - they finally started boarding our 'plane. We were both tired, worried about our accommodation reservations (we would arrive in HK close to 12 am because of the delay and we were afraid we would lose our booking) and I was sick and coughing non-stop - so we were extremely grateful that things were finally progressing. But as we reached the gate, we noticed that certain people were being pulled out of the queue! People who were obviously not Japanese or American, people who looked Indian, Korean, etc. The gate official took a look at my boarding pass and passport and pulled me aside and quite promptly did the same to Mary, who was behind me, and deposited us into this 2nd growing queue. I asked the official why we were being added to this queue, was it because of our South African passports and she went "Oh no, this is just random" (aha - pretty random that the only two South Africans on the flight were BOTH selected for a body search).

I can't even begin to tell you how it felt. The rest of the passengers were passing us by and staring at us curiously! My cheeks felt hot and I knew they were red with embarrassment but that wasn't even close to the worst of it! We could see what was happening to the people ahead of us. There wasn't much of a screen to protect our modesty, egos or dignity - leaving us exposed to the stares and ridicule of our fellow passengers. One of the passing people made some comment about the security check as he breezed by us but I barely heard him. I did hear Mary's muttered response to what he said but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was! I was just dreading my turn, horrified by the prospect of having my hand luggage - which consisted of toiletries, feminine hygiene products and other personal items, exposed to the world.

A man and a woman were doing the check. I was asked to sit on an uncomfortable little chair, while my bag was taken from me. I had to remove my shoes - the woman checked it for whatever, then checked my feet and jeans as well. While this was going on the guy was pawing through my things, checking my wallet, taking stuff out and testing the water - that I was carrying with me because of my coughing - for God knows what kinds of substances! The woman asked me to stand up and spread my arms and then told me that she was going to search my body next - I couldn't say anything, wouldn't meet her eyes - it's not like I had a choice in the matter! Suffer the indignity or get chucked off the plane and face criminal charges, be blacklisted by other airlines, etc! I felt so humiliated and violated. I met her eyes for the first time while she was searching me and I'm ashamed to admit that that was when I started crying. I was as embarrassed by my tears as I was by what was happening to me - I knew that I wasn't the first or last person to go through this, I mean Mary was just behind me and would have to suffer the same indignity just after me but I just couldn't help it. It was like some kind of horrible nightmare! I know that they were just doing their jobs and that - being Japanese -they were probably as uncomfortable with the process as I was but that did not make it any better!

After they were done with me, I walked a little bit further down the corridor and stopped to compose myself and wait for Mary. I stood there while people swept by and tried not to let them see I was crying! I was so furious but at the same time felt so powerless because I just knew that the same thing would happen on the way back and that there was absolutely nothing that we could do to prevent it!

Sure enough, on Saturday at Hong Kong airport - we were fed the same bullshit about being "randomly selected" for a security check (honestly how random can it be when the same thing happened to the same people on the way over? If they think that people are stupid enough to believe such a blatant lie then it's no wonder they're making no headway with the real terrorists out there!!). The experience wasn't any better but at least this time we were emotionally prepared for it! We knew what would happen.

I refuse to travel on an American airline again. I will not subject myself to such indignity again! To be treated like some criminal when my country and its people - for the most part - have done nothing to deserve it, is infuriating. I know that this has happened to loads of people, I know that some of you will think that maybe I'm being melodramatic and foolish here, but unless this has happened to you, you won't understand! And if it HAS happened to you but you're okay with it, then more power to you! I'm not made that way!

I think I'll choose a nice Asian airline to fly the next time I feel the need to brave the skies again! I'll leave NW and whatever other American airlines to victimise the rest of the world at "random" - but they're not getting their grubby paws on my panties again!

12 comments:

kittykat said...

i get stopped everytime! dont worry about it!!

if you flew NWA im not suprised, theyre UBER security conscious- i had my bags checked like 5 times last week, youre not being picked on! :-)

Satyne said...

That's reassuring then... was feeling totally victimised... still am actually! Am not flying NWA again... they're now losing MILLIONS in revenue cos I'm gonna boycott them - the bastards! Hope their CEO has sleepless nights about it!! Added to the harassment they also charged for their alcohol! WTF?! What's the point in flying if you can't get free drinks?! And after the strip search, I gotta tell ya, I was desperate for a drink... humph, can't believe they tried to extort Y500 outta me for some good old fashioned Dutch courage!

Bleh!

Anonymous said...

you should write a letter to the airline man! that's def. being picked on if you got stopped twice at "random". tell them that you're boycotting them and you're a pretty international gal who's also telling all her friends to boycott them. The least they can do for you is write you an apology!

Satyne said...

Ta for that Shanna... I suppose I could, but I know that they'll probably shrug it off and figure if OTHER people are fine with taking it without complaint then who the hell am I to bug them with it? I'd just NEVER experienced anything like that before and I know Mary felt the same... they should really stop using the words "random checks" when it's obvious that our passports were flagged...

Hugs and looking forward to seeing ya soon!

Anonymous said...

Shame my skattie. I didn't have it as bad thought. Being the second time that I went back to S.A, the security at Narita always feel the NEED to go through my luggage.. they check everything, female stuff, lotion, I mean now really! what can you hide in a t....n. Women will know what I'm talking about. Then they suff through my Rooibos tea. For what? Its red. ... Well, this has nothing to do with the American airlines..still. Just because I was from a third world country I guess, cos the other foreigners don't get stopped. And I do every time.BUT TO, your story is just so sad. Sorry my lovey:( Cindy

Satyne said...

Haai vooitog Cinds... miskien het hulle gedink jy smokkel olifant tande of iets!!

I didn't have the same experience (touch wood), on my return trip to Japan from SA... I know this can happen with any airline but at least the rest can get away with the whole "random check" excuse!

Anonymous said...

i dont know what to say except you handled it well. just an awful experience. .. maybe the security officers had a bad day that day -> =) so they were just jerks. =)


Jocey

melissa said...

I flew NW for Golden Week and Spring Vacation and I got checked every single time. With an American passport. It's just the way of the world nowadays, eh.

But Shanna is right, if you are so boiled about it, you should write to them. They'll probably ignore you but there is a *slight* chance that you'll get something for free. Customer service is a huge industry in America and sometimes big companies do go out of their way to mend their customers' upset.

But anyway, now you need to write about the awesome time you had on your trip! Get to it! :)

Satyne said...

Hey Melissa and Jocey, long time no see, ne?!

Anyway, thanks for your posts! I have to correct you on one thing, Jocey, the security people were not rude in either instance, they were polite enough I just resented the fact that they kept telling us that it was a random check, when it happened a) to BOTH of us and b)on both the departing and returning flights (that's just TOO much of a coincidence to be "random"! It was the lie that annoyed me)...

And wow, Melissa, hard to believe that you've had to undergo that same nasty search over and over again!! I feel that the LEAST they can do is give you some privacy while they make you remove articles of your clothing and make you stand spread out like a criminal while they "search your body"... It's just not right!

Anyway, I did email the complaints department and got brushed off with a really polite letter referring me the the security company! They said they were "reluctant" to revealed the criteria for their checks... well, if it becomes pretty much a "given" that you WILL be searched when you fly with them, then I'd say that they've revealed their criteria without saying a word, the idiots!

Anyway, an account of my trip will follow next week!

Thanks for reading!

Love ya both!

N

Anonymous said...

hey,
i've traveled alot during my 3 1/2 years in japan and i get stopped and checked 7 times out of 10 no matter what airline , especially going in and out of narita.a number of times in the exact way you described.i have an irish/E.U. passport and once i got so mad because they did 2 "random" irish checks but once i'd calmed down i realised it probably was random. easier to look at it like that anyway.i get stopped less if i'm with tom(incidentally he has been checked with his british passport a number of times when i have sailed through) but apparently drug smugglers are often women in their mid to late 20's traveling alone or in pairs, so we're a target.they're usually very polite about it in japan. my worst experience was leaving hawaii. they were so rude and stupid. i was searched coz the guy was dumb and couldn't figure out my jap.visa and was confused about all the stamps in my passport!
i totally understand how you feel/felt but not a hell of a lot you can do about it. it doesn't stop
me goin on the next trip anyway;-)
kelly

Satyne said...

7 TIMES?!!! Feck, I'll count my blessings now...

The experience won't stop me from travelling, it was just the first time it's happened and it seemed too coincidental to be random.

Thanks everybody for commenting, even though it's a truly shitty thing to happen, am glad to know that it's a more frequent occurence than I'd imagined!

Hugs

N

Anonymous said...

Ja, seems like we've actually been lucky ne..?! Thanks for sending a complaint anyway - we had reason to complain & it's good that North West knows how unpleasant their security checks are. Mary