Wednesday, April 19, 2006

A bit random...

So today I was sitting on Sanjo Higashi Station, just minding my own business. The two seats to the left of me were occupied by these two middle-aged gents who looked relatively normal and whatnot! I was listening to my music and watching my students mill about aimlessly waiting for the train, when I noticed that one of the guys was glancing through some kind of year book and the other one was blatantly reading over his shoulder. Now at this point I feel I should point out that these two guys did not appear to know one another. While guy #2 was starting to lean over him, guy #1 didn't say or do anything to acknowledge his presence, just very pointedly kept his attention on his book. Suddenly the backseat reader pointed to a picture in book and muttered something (by this time I had my music turned down, as I watched matters unfold with great interest), the book's owner said nothing, merely kept his gaze down. Suddenly back seat boy (who was sitting next to me) quite unexpectedly snatched the book from the first guy and perused it quite thoroughly at his own leisure, while nodding and talking to himself. The other guy just stared at him in complete shock, before the snatcher unhurriedly handed his magazine back to him.

The bloke even BOWED (to be fair I think it was a purely reflex action) to the book thief, upon receipt of his OWN book! Jeez, I would have slapped the guy for touching my book, nevermind bowed at him! I DO think the book snatcher was a bit... uh... touched, if you know what I mean!? He then started talking to himself and the other guy very discreetly tucked his book into his bag and very subtly starting moving away from his new "friend".

Man, I love people watching! What a source of endless entertainment it can be!

No comments: