Friday, June 18, 2010

The increasing bane of my existence!

Every time I think, see or hear of a vuvuzela I can't contain the impulse to roll my eyes. Damn those things, they're a clever marketing campaign by some oke getting stinking rich off of playing on the gullible patriotic nature of South Africans. Give us a gimmic and tell us that we're not South African enough if we don't love it and we'll fall for it hook, line and sinker!

GAH! Look back on any SAfrican domestic footie match and while the vuvuzela is a presence, it's not a dominating, all-consuming force of fecking nature. No we actually have singing, dancing and even some OTHER instruments at our football games. Whoever thought of this horrendous marketing scheme has ruined our WC and destroyed the real spirit of the game in South Africa. Bastard. Cos now not only do we have South Africans being stupidly Proudly South African with these things, every foreigner in the country feels the need to buy one and they have no idea how to play the things. Short, controlled bursts (direct quote from Aliens by the way) interspersed with singing and chanting, you stupid ASSHOLES!

Siiiighh. This is not how I imagined my WC updates would go. I was way excited. I didn't think I'd get wrapped up in this one small thing... but seriously, it's pretty overwhelming and people back home don't realise how negatively it is perceived by people in other countries. I get sick of the arrogance of people constantly saying, "It's OUR World Cup." Uhm, excuse me, no it ISN'T. It's not called the South African Cup people, it's called the World Cup. And if the WC performances of Bafana Bafana so far have been anything to go by, it'll never, in any way, shape or form be OUR World Cup. So get over yourselves... use the vuvuzela with discretion. And show people how we REALLY enjoy our football... with rhythm, style and lots of singing and dancing.

No comments: