Friday, June 18, 2010

Germany vs Serbia (in progress)

Whenever I see a card-heavy game like Germany vs Serbia tonight I always have to curb my gut instinct to yell mean things at the ref through my TV screen. Things like, "What?! Are you fucking INSANE Mr Ref? He was playing the ball!!! OH COME ON, you blind fool! Who the hell paid you to make THAT call?"

I blame this instinct on having grown up watching this sport with boys. Inevitably, depending on whose side they were on (and they were ALWAYS on opposite sides), every yellow or red card EVER was met with a similar response and this naturally led me to conclude (cos remember, these were my formative years), that the referee is just always wrong. Poor guy.

My brother and his buddies were always so passionate about this game. They'd be all competitive during the game, talking smack and what-not and then afterwards, backslaps and handshakes (like THEY were the ones playing the actual game FGS) and "Nah, bru, kwaai game!"


PS. I'm guessing that it's a bit agonising being a German at this time. Nice save by the 'keeper earlier! No Jabulani ball angst for him.

No comments: