Saturday, June 13, 2009

My Afrikaans word of the Day

So I was sitting here, minding my own business, when for some reason the Afrikaans word for matches went through my head (okay, I was actually, very idly, playing with a match book). I was just struck by what an awesome word it is...

"Vuurhoutjies" - literally translated means "little fire wood". Now tell me that's not the cutest word EVER!

Okay, yes, this is the kind of crap I'm doing when I should be cleaning out my flat. But procrastination brings out the best in me!

So my Afrikaans word of the day = vuurhoutjies.

Of course if you're from the Cape Fletse, you just call them "metchies" but that's cos we prefer the best of both worlds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tessa. When my bic lighter died i went to look for matches. Found a box just like the one in your picture. Must have brought it back from a trip to SA years ago. It brought back memories.